Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Peace Be Still

Patience was tested today. I called the Cameroon Embassy to check on the status of our visas...considering ...oh, in let's see -48 hours we should be on a plane headed to Douala, Cameroon. After being transferred multiple times, I finally reached a human. He listened to my plea, and acted terribly annoyed that I disturbed his day. Then he told me to call back in 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I have a business meeting waiting on me in the other room. Gracious team of people, but their patience was wearing thin as well. Multitasking may be the art of a woman, but there is a limit to my mad skills-- and I met the limit of my strength today.

So, in my weakness He is strong. I will call back and I will get answer.

Thinking good news is about to ring out-- I call again after the 30 minutes passed. Only to be automatically transferred to a FULL mailbox. HHHMMMM...I shall persevere. I dial back 5 more times...until finally someone answers. I ask for my extension...only to find myself leaving another message. So, I persist! I call again, and again, and again...but now my number is being screened. No-- not paranoia...I could hear them pick up, push a button and find myself transferred to a voicemail.

By this time, my nerves are shot. Balancing a business meeting, phone calls to an embassy that is screening your calls, and trying to field the texts, emails, and voice mails of concerned team members and friends...wore me out!

Watching my countenance fade, my business associates rallied around me in prayer. Then the email from Sherri Lewis (the wonderful amazing friend we are visiting in Cameroon) emails..."no one at the Embassy is answering the phone...I think they are gone for the day." My stomach dropped. I thought-- the enemy has gone too far! My peace has been stolen...and I am not settling for this! But what is a girl to do??????

After resigning to a long night ahead...I finished my meeting.

Then the ding of all dings..."you've got mail."

There it was...the forwarded email from Sherri announcing the Embassy processed and packaged the approved visas that afternoon and I should receive them tomorrow.

WHAT??!!! Elated, of course...but they could have told me that earlier! But patience would have never been tested!

So tonight...peace be still...I am sleeping this day off my mind!

1 comment:

Linda Jackson said...

Ah, my heart is right there with you.I can't wait to hear of the "love encounters" ahead of you.